Leintwardine Fishing Club Members 1848-1967
LEINTWARDINE FISHING CLUB MEMBERS 1848-1967
The members shown below all joined the club before 1967 their names have been compiled from several sources: available members lists, notes in the Minute Books, lists of payments of subscriptions found in some account books and from some fish returns.
Benjamin St John Ackers, 1839-1915, LFC Member 1863-1869. Address given as Lincolns Inn, London. The Rugby School register for 1853 shows Benjamin Ackers, aged 13, son of James Ackers, entering in that year in November. He went on to St John’s College, Oxford. He was called to the Bar in 1865 at Lincoln’s Inn. He married in 1861 Louisa Mary Jane (Hunt, of Bowden Hall, Glos.). He was JP and DL for Gloucestershire and High Sheriff in 1904. Having inherited Prinknash from his father, James Ackers, he is noted as having improved ‘the older parts of the house and added a new wing on the south east side’. By 1909 he has moved to Huntley manor Gloucestershire. He was president of the Gloucester Literary and Scientific Association and addressed the association in 1876 on the subject ‘Deaf not Dumb’, the lecture was published by Longmans in that same year. He addressed the Society of Arts on the same subject in 1877. He was a member of the Carlton Club. He sold Prinknash to Thomas Dyer Edwards in 1888.
James Ackers, 1811-1868, LFC member 1848?-1868. Treasurer in 1856, President from 1863-1868. The Ackers family were originally timber merchants in Salford. The estate papers in the Manchester County Record Office show an assignment dated 1833 that James Ackers is the main beneficiary of the will of James Ackers, deceased, ‘the lease of Bank Mill together with a corn mill and three properties in Salford’. One of these properties may have been Larks Hill, Salford, which he seems to have retained. His address on the deed of assignment though is given as ‘The Heath, near Ludlow.’ This is probably the principal house at the hamlet of Heath, the site of the abandoned medieval village to the north west of Clee St Margaret, Shropshire. James Ackers was formerly called Coops and was born to James Coops in Manchester 4 Aug 1811. He was educated at Manchester, Marlborough and Trinity College, Cambridge he matriculated Christmas 1829 and gained a first in Civil Law Classes in 1831-32. “He assumed by ‘sign manual’ the surname of Ackers, in lieu of Coops, on succeeding by will to a large fortune from James Ackers Esq., of Larkhill Saltford, 1827”( this detail comes from alumni Cantabrigienses). He married Mary Anne Williams on Jan 9 1833, she died in 1848. In 1834 James Ackers joined the fledgling Ludlow Natural History Society (which became the Ludlow Museum) and quickly became a committee member, by 1846 he is one of four Vice Presidents largely through contributing a large cheque. He continued as a member until 1857. James Ackers is noted in Sir Walter Gilbey’s book, Racing Cups, 1595-1850, the entry reads “a silver cup inscribed ‘Ludlow Meeting, 1835, James Ackers Esq., Steward’”. The Ludlow Standard of 1840 noted Ackers as a steward for the Festival of Choirs performance in September of that year. In 1841 he became an MP for Ludlow (2nd member) and remained so until the general election in 1847. In the same year James Ackers bought the estate and old Abbey at Prinknash Park in Gloucestershire, formerly the seat of Abbot Parker who entertained Henry VIII there. He later is a JP for Hereford. It is noted that James Ackers ‘restored and beautified’ the chapel at Prinknash (see prinknashabbey.org for more detail on the history). In the 1863 LFC members list Prinknash is given as Ackers’ address and he probably remains there until his death Sep 27 1868 aged 57. He is buried at Upton St Leonard’s Gloucestershire and his son, Benjamin, inherits . He may well have had an elder brother, also James, as the Rugby School register shows a James Ackers, aged 13 joining in 1850. No further detail is known of this child so he may well have died early.
Major H Cecil Ackroyd, 18??-19?? LFC Member 1914-1938. Address given as Wigmore Hall, Kingsland. He was elected President of the LFC in 1922 when he was away in Canada.
William Addiscote, 18??-1947. LFC Member 1946-1947 Address given as Kent. A note in the minute book that HD Marshall met him in The Lion Hotel in 1943.
Sir Henry Allsopp,(Lord Hindlip) 1811-1887. LFC Member 1870-81. Address given as Hindlip Hall, Worcester. Clubs: Carlton and Windham. Henry Allsopp was the third son of Samuel Allsopp head of the brewery firm of Samuel Allsopp & Sons of Burton-on-Trent and his wife Frances Fowler. He succeeded his father in the running of the family business and also represented East Worcestershire in the House of Commons between 1874 and 1880. Allsopp was created a Baronet, of Hindlip Hall in the County of Worcester, in 1880, and in 1886 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Hindlip, of Hindlip in the County of Worcester and of Alsop-en-le-Dale in the County of Derby. He married Elizabeth, daughter of William Tongue, in 1839. He died in April 1887, aged 76, and was succeeded in his titles by his eldest son Samuel. His son George Higginson (1846-1907) Allsopp was MP for Worcester, 1885-1895 and played cricket for Worcestershire. Another son Herbert Allsopp was a cricketer and played five first class matches for Cambridge University, he was also an army officer. Lady Hindlip died in 1906.
Samuel C Allsopp, MP. 1842-1897. LFC Member 1881-18?? Address given as Marchington, Uttoexeter. Samuel Charles Allsopp, son of Sir Henry (see above) MP 1873-1887 for Taunton and also represented Staffordshire Eastern. Succeeded to title of 2nd Baron Hindlip of Hindlip in 1887. DL Staffs, and JP.
G S Atkinson, 1899-19??. LFC Member 1959-1971+ . Address given as Westwoods Redditch, Worcs. George Scott Atkinson was a Birmingham industrialist. He was ‘Chairman’ of the Greenwell Club and Chairman of the Midland Fly Fishers. He was elected to the committee in 1960. He wrote ‘A Soldiers diary’ (1923), a personal narrative of the 1914-18 War.
Benjamin St John Attwood-Mathews MA DL JP, 1830-1903. LFC Member 1894-1901. Address given as Pontrilas Court, Herefordshire. High Sheriff of Herefordshire 1891. On August 13, 1857 Attwood-Mathews accompanied by John Frederick Hardy, William Mathews, J.C.W. Ellis and Edward Shirley Kennedy made the first British ascent of the Finsteraarhorn, Switzerland. The story goes that whilst on the summit they decided to form a club for climbers. Subsequently on December 22, 1857 the Alpine Club, the first mountain sport association in the history of Alpinism, assembled for its inaugural meeting under the chairmanship of Edward Kennedy in London’s Ashley’s Hotel. He married in 1860 Florence Blakistone .
CS Asbury, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1943-1952. Address given as 7 The Square, Shrewsbury. C S Asbury was the Honorary Secretary from 19??- 1952 when he resigned.
Lt Colonel Ponsonby Bagot, 1845-1921. LFC Member, 1880-1882. Address given as the Guards Club and later at Ashstead Park, Epsom. He joined the Scots Guards in 1864 and reached the rank of Lt Colonel by 1875, he retired in 1877 and remained unmarried. His father was Maj Gen Edward Richard Bagot (1808-1874) who was invested as Knight Redeemer of Greece, his mother was Matilda Perkins.
RC Bailey, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1912-1915. Address given as The Pigeon House, Bodenham, Herefordshire. Richard Crawshay Bailey appears in the Kelly Directory for 1913 as a private resident in Bodenham (See Starey below).
William Joseph Barber-Starkey, 1847-1924. LFC Member 1904-19??. Address given as Aldenham Hall, Bridgenorth. He was educated at Rugby and Trinity College Cambridge. He was called to the Bar in 1877. Married Margaret Aimee Kinloch in 1873 in Perth. Shortly after his marriage he changed his name from Barber to Barber Starkey. They had 9 children, 5 boys and 4 girls (Aimee Josephine has Portrait in National Gallery).One son, William Henry, died of wounds at Le Cateau in 1914.
RG Barker, 19??-19??. LFC Member 1950-1953. Address given as Coton Hill Cottages, Shrewsbury. Robert G Parker was proposed by Guy. He resigned in 1953.
Colonel H J Bartholomew, 18??-1938. LFC Member 1938. Died the following month.
Arthur Richard Beale, 1866-after 1950. LFC Member 1912-1950. Address given as Seedley House, Leintwardine but he lived earlier at The Cottage, Bucknell. In 1926 his address was c/o the Post Office, Leintwardine. In 1937 his address is New House, Leintwardine. He was educated at Radley School. Kelly’s Directory of 1913 shows a Mrs Beale living at Seedley House. AR Beale was born at Hopton Castle, son of Revd Theodore Beale and Mary Dora (Clerke). AR Beale was Treasurer in 1912, LFC Secretary in 1915 and then President in 1920. Although he apparently steps down to Vice President in 1937 he would seem to continue fulfilling the functions of President until 1946. He then continued on the committee until 1947 and resigns in 1950.
Major Berkeley, 1856-19??. LFC Member 1888-1913. Address given as Lypiard Grange, Worcs, and later at Fieldgate House, Kenilworth. Probably Maurice Henry Berkeley who played cricket for the Gentlemen of Worcestershire 1876-1878. He was noted as being a Captain in the Worcestershire Militia in 1884, (www.cricketarchive.com ).
GH Bevan, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1914-1920. Address given as Brampton Bryan Hall.
James B Boote, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1913-1919. Address given as Knighton and c/o Barclay’s Bank, Knighton.
MA Boswell, 19??-19??. LFC Member 1962. Address given as Westacre, Finchfield Hill Wolverhampton.
Revd J Bowstead-Wilson, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1905-19??. Address given as Knightwick Rectory, Worcester. A friend of Sir HM Plowden and who proposes Colonel WC Plowden.
Colonel C Boyce, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1936-37+. Address given as The Manor House, Much Wenlock. He attended 1936 AGM.
The Earl of Breadalbane. 1824-1871. LFC Member 1870-78. Address given as Taymouth Castle, Aberfeldy. John Alexander Gavin Campbell succeeded to his Uncle’s estate in 1862 .Prior to this he had gained the rank of Captain in the First of Foot, (Ist Royals) and had married Mary Theresa Edwards in 1853. At the same time as becoming 6th Earl of Breadalbane he also succeeded to the titles 10th Baronet Campbell of Glenorchy,6th Lord Glenurchy and6th Viscount of Tay and Pentland. He died when he was 46 in the Albany, Piccadilly, London. His eldest son, Gavin Campbell, went on to hold several high positions in the royal household. He was a Lord-in-Waiting from 1873 to 1874, Treasurer of the household 1880-5, Lord Steward of the household 1892-5, also A.D.C. to the King and Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland in 1893-45. He was created Baron Breadalbane in the peerage of the United Kingdom in 1873, and advanced to the Earldom of Ormelie and Marquessate of Breadalbane in 1885. He was also a Knight of the Garter and a Privy Councillor, and was Keeper of the Privy Seal of Scotland from 1907. He married in 1872 Lady Alma Graham, youngest daughter of the fourth Duke of Montrose. In 1921 he disposed of Taymouth Castle, the town of Aberfeldy, and the lands at the lower end of Loch Tay.
F Brett Young, 1884-1954. LFC Member 1936-1946 No Address given but he lived at Craycombe House, Fladbury, Worcestershire. Francis Brett Young was born in 1884 at Hales Owen, Worcestershire, the eldest son of Dr Thomas Brett Young. Educated at Iona Cottage High School, Sutton Coldfield and Epsom College, Francis read medicine at Birmingham University before entering general practice at Brixham in 1907. The following year he married Jessie Hankinson whom he had met during his medical studies. She was a singer of some repute, having appeared as a soloist in Henry Wood's Promenade Concerts. Francis based one of his earliest novels Deep Sea (1914) in Brixham but was soon to be caught up in the Great War. He served in the R.A.M.C. in East Africa, and recorded his experiences in his book Marching on Tanga. After the war they went to live in Capri where a number of novels with African as well as English backgrounds were produced. Popular success came in 1927 when Francis was awarded the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Portrait of Clare. The Brett Youngs returned to England in 1929, staying for a while in the Lake District before settling at Craycombe House in Worcestershire in 1932. During this period Francis was at the height of his fame and his annually produced novels were eagerly awaited. During the Second World War he laboured on his long poem covering the spread of English history from prehistoric times. Entitled The Island, it was published in 1944 and was regarded by Francis as his greatest achievement. Following a breakdown in his health they moved to South Africa where he died in 1954. His ashes were brought back to this country and interred in Worcester Cathedral. (This biography has been taken from the www.fbysociety.co.uk. on which descriptions of all his books and poetry can be found. In his book Mr Lucton’s Freedom he uses some of his fishing experiences with the Club.)
Admiral Britten, RN, 1843-1910. LFC Member 1899-1910. Address given as Kenswick, Worcester. Admiral Richard Frederic Britten was born in London, being the second son of Daniel Britten, of Kenswick, Worcestershire, by his wife Emma, daughter of Mr George Green, of Blackwall. He entered the Navy as a midshipman at the age of 13, and the following year saw service in the China War of 1858, and was present at the bombardment of Nankin, for which he received the China Medal. He served as Lieutenant on board the Royal Yacht, and as Commander and Flag Captain to the Duke of Edinburgh in the Mediterranean. He retired with the rank of Captain in 1892, the year after he was made Rear-Admiral on the retired list. He succeeded to the Kenswick estate and devoted himself thenceforward to county work. In 1890 he married Blanche Cecile, only daughter of the eleventh Baron and first Viscount Colville of Culross, by whom he had three children. He died at Kenswick. He is noted in a Kentucky newspaper for exporting cattle to Kentucky in 1901. He was an amateur painter; one picture ‘Her Majesty’s Royal Yacht Victoria and Albert II in the Solent ’ was sold in 1990.
J Broad-Bissell, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1901. Address given as Bishopsteington House, North Devon.
CC Brown, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1928. Address given as East India Club, London.
Henry Brown, 18??-1875? LFC Member 1863. Address given as 4 Douro Villas, Cheltenham. He was proposed as a member of the reformed club in 1871 by Colonel Colvin and Revd J Rogers but died before a vacancy occurred.
C L Clerke, 1829-1910. LFC Member 1908-11. Address given as Seedley House, Leintwardine. Charles Longueville Clerke was the son of the 9th Baronet Clerke and sister to Mary, AR Beale’s mother who later lived at Seedley, He never married. The only indication of his membership is on a handwritten note in the LFC archives which informs us that he replaced Vale-King in 1908. Clerke had been on the waiting list in 1870, number 30, but when put up for ballot in 1886 was not elected.
Major Clowes, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1877-94. Address given as Malvern Wells. Possibly Major Peter Legh Clowes a magistrate for Herefordshire (Kelly’s 1895). Listed in Kelly’s Dir. 1913 as Lt Colonel Peter Legh Clowes CB DL JP (late 8th Hussars) Burton Court, Eardisland, Leominster, and Naval & Military and Arthur’s Club. His wife was Edith Emily, their son Lieut. Warren Peter Clowes 8th Bn. King's Royal Irish Hussars. KIA (Somme) 30/3/1918 Age 20. (John Clowes, DL, JP, Burton Court, Eardisland. Kelly’s 1885 was probably the father).
Lt Colonel Neville Collins, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1946-1948. Address given as Kenton, Wood Lane, Fleet, Hants.
Rev E P Comber, 1868-19-??. LFC Member 1943-1948. Address given as Penn Vicarage, Bucks. This could be Edward Comber who married in 1902 Jane Frances Hartley. It is noted that in 1937 the Rev.E.P.Comber, vicar of Wrenbury (who played for Aston Cricket Club, Nr Nantwich, Cheshire), presented a silver cup to the Aston club to celebrate the Coronation of King George V1.
Rev James Cook, 1821-1889. LFC Member 1870-78. Address given as Peopleton Rectory, Pershore. Magdellan College, Cambridge 1847. According to Crockford’s Directory he also lived at 47 Portland Place, London. From 1855 to 1889 the Rev. James Cook was patron and incumbent of St Nicholas, a 13thc church in the village of Peopleton, and his trustees held the advowson until 1892. The manor at that time ,Norchard House (now demolished), was owned by Frederick Dineley but by 1869 it had passed into the hands of John Parker of Worcester, a solicitor in the firm of Goldingham. Cook comes to notice in the Worcester records office6 when he is noted for giving alms to poor local families in Peopleton in stark contrast to the previous incumbent and Lord of the Manor, Dineley.
Major Colby, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1894-1901. Address given as Rhosygilwen, Rhoshill, RSO. S Wales. Colbys lived at Rhosygilwen from 1697 and for the next seven generations.
Colonel J Colvin, CB, 1794-1871, LFC Member 1863-1870. Address given as Leintwardine. John Colvin, born 20 August 1794 in Scotland to John and Matilda Colvin. Both his father and a cousin worked with the Bengal Civil Service and John Colvin joined them. He then joined the Bengal Engineers before he was thirtyand advanced rapidly to the rank of Lt Colonel. In 1823 Lt Colonel Colvin, in the appointment of General Superintendent of Irrigation at Delhi, saw the restoration and extension of the Western Jumna Canal completed which was to help greatly with the relief of famine in that area. Colvin left India in 1836. He married Josephine Baker in St Lawrence’s Church in Ludlow in 1838 and took up residence in Broad Street for the next few years and produced his first two children. In July 1838, despite being back in England Colvin was appointed Companion to the Order of Bath on the occasion of her Majesty’s Coronation, at which time he is still listed as being in the service of the Bengal Engineers but presumably on half pay. At some time in the early 1840s Colvin had moved from Ludlow to Leintwardine House and immediately immersed himself in fund raising for a school which was built in 1847. He became the manager or Governor of the school for the next 22 years. Colvin became a leading light in the Ludlow Natural History Society from about 1846 acting as both Treasurer and Secretary for many years. As James Ackers was also part of the same organisation it is likely that Colvin started fishing with him after this date but long before the 1863 members list was published. Lt Colonel Colvin, CB, was promoted Colonel by brevet on 28 Nov 1854 and a year later is noted in the Army List and East India Register of 1855 as retired from service. He became a Deputy Lieutenant of Herefordshire on 1 Dec 1860, (at the same time incidentally as Andrew Johnes Rouse Boughton Knight). He was listed as a member of the Woolhope Society from 1855 and also of the Paleontographical Society in Sep 1866. Col Colvin died on 27th April 1871 aged 76 and is buried in Leintwardine churchyard. His son John William Colvin, MA (1839-1917), Rugby School 1853, served as vicar of Leintwardine for 32 years. He is listed in Kelly’s 1885 as being at the Vicarage. Rev J Colvin was acquainted with Lord Coventry and visited him at Wardens Cottage, Leintwardine in 1891; he also gave Colvin fishing tickets.
F Connell, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1937-1946+ Address given as Hampton Hall, Worthen, Shropshire
JSM Connell, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1939-1956 Address given as 4 Carpenter Road, Edgbaston. A pencil note in the minute book has him elected again in 1943. He resigned in 1956
Captain Frank Corbett, 1833-18??. LFC Member 1863. Address given as Greenfield, Presteigne. He is noted in the list of Old Carthusians for being at Charterhouse in the years 1845-1847 and of entering the Army, serving with the 33rd Regiment of Foot, now Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding) Regiment.
E R T Corbett, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1912-1915. Address given as Radnor, Dorrington, Salop. Probably Major ER Trevor Corbett.
G Bryan Corser, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1960-1977. Address given as 8 Swan Hill, Shrewsbury.
F G Corser, 18??-1950. LFC Member 1947-1950. Address given as Shrewsbury. Selected for the committee 1947.
The Earl of Coventry, 1838-1930. LFC Member 1877-1911 Address given as Croome Court, Severn Stoke, Worcestershire and 106 Piccadilly, London. Lord Coventry, George William, 9th Earl Coventry (1838-1930) lived at the family home at Croome Court. The estate had been in the hands of the family since the late 16th Century and lies about 7 miles south of Worcester. He was educated at Eton and Christchurch. As a young man between 1866 and 1886 Lord Coventry played cricket for sides such as the Gentlemen of Worcestershire, the Gentlemen of the MCC and the Lords and Commons. At least four other cricketers found their way into the LFC through this connection. He was elected president of the MCC in 1859 and in 1869 he chaired a committee to establish the current cricket ground at Worcester. Lord Coventry was an influential member of the Leintwardine Fishing Club. He rented Warden House, Leintwardine, from 1880 and subsequently bought it in 1891. Fishing was certainly the principal reason for his interest in Leintwardine, however, he also bred Hereford cattle having started his herd in 1875 with animals from Mr Tudge, of Adforton, . Whilst staying at the Wardens he and his family kept a journal6 of their visits. The journal mainly records his fishing but also shows that Lord Coventry appreciated the standard of husbandry in this area for he bought horses, bullocks and many sheep to be sent back to Croome. He went to many of the local cattle shows and was often asked to judge horses. – He was the owner of two winners of the Grand National. Amongst many other positions he became President of the Hereford Herd Book Society and was asked to preside at many luncheons for retiring breeders in and around Leintwardine and found it useful to spend the night before at The Wardens. The journal was written by several members of the family. Much of it is in the third person and was started by his wife, Lady Blanche Coventry, Lady Blanche Craven (1842-1930), third daughter of William Craven, 2nd Earl of Craven, of Coombe Abbey, Warickshire. Whilst any stay was rarely longer than 4 or 5 days and then on no more than three or four times a year it is clear from the comments that everyone from the family who came to The Wardens enjoyed their stay. He sold the Wardens in 1921 and he died in 1930. Lady Blanche took to her bed one hour after his death and died three days later, they had been married for 67 years.
Herbert Crawshay, 18??-18??. LFC Member 1863-1870 and 18??-1903. Address given as Leintwardine and later as Stormer. Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire for 1876-7 lists Stormer Hall as the seat of Herbert Crawshay Esq., a farmer. A cousin, Alfred Crawshay, Bwlch, was invited to join in 1903 but declined.
LM Curtler, 1857-1912. LFC Member 1911-1912. Not listed in any LFC archives but listed on subscriptions for the Meredith headstone, 1911. Lawrence Martin Curtler was born in Droitwich Spa, Worcestershire. He was educated at Marlborough College and qualified as a solicitor in 1881. He played cricket for the Gentleman of Worcestershire side 1876-79 and later for Llandudno in 1894 (www.cricketarchive.com.). He died 29 Jan 1912 his address then was Shrewsbury House, Church Walks, Llandudno.
WT Curtler, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1926-1930+. Address given as Inchmery, Worcester.
Hon Humphrey Devereux, 1812-1880. LFC Member 1870-80. Address given as The High Wood, Leominster. Hon. Humphrey Bohun Devereux was the fourth son of Henry Fleming Lea Devereux (1777-1843), 14th Viscount Hereford. He married Caroline Antrobus, daughter of Sir Edmund Antrobus. Littlebury’s Directory of 1876 notes “The Highwood, the seat of the Hon. Humphrey de Bohun Devereux, J.P. and D.L., is delightfully situated on an eminence in this parish (Yarpole), and commands a pleasing and picturesque prospect.” He appears in a list of Carthusians 1800-1879, he entered Charterhouse in 1824, and is noted as being in the East India Company’s service.
Sir Harry E Dixey, DL, MD 1853-1927. LFC Member 1919-1926. Address given as Woodgate, Malvern. Dr Harry Edward Dixey graduated from Aberdeen. He was house surgeon at Preston Royal Infirmary and then practised at Droitwich and Malvern. He was an alderman of the Worcestershire County Council, Deputy Lieutenant and a Justice of the Peace. He was appointed Sheriff in 1921. He was a commissioned surgeon captain in the 8th Worcester Volunteer Regiment and was chairman of the King Edward VII Memorial Sanatorium Worcestershire. He was knighted in 1926.
Hon George Douglas-Pennant, 1836-1907. LFC Member 1870-1878. Address given as Penrhyn Castle, Bangor. George Sholto Gordon Douglas was born in Yorkshire to Edward Gordon Douglas (1800-1886) (National Portrait Gallery) who in 1841 added Pennant to his name after his wife inherited the Penrhyn estate. George Douglas-Pennant was educated at Eton College and at Christ Church, Oxford. In 1860 he became a major commanding the Caernarvonshire Rifle Volunteers, which was affiliated in 1881 to the 4th (militia) battalion, Royal Welch Fusiliers; he later became its honorary colonel. In August 1860 he married Pamela Blanche (1839–1869), daughter of Sir Charles Rushout; they had a son, Edward Sholto (1864–1927), who succeeded as third Baron Penrhyn, and six daughters, the youngest of whom was Violet Douglas-Pennant. Douglas-Pennant's second wife, whom he married in October 1875, was Gertrude Jessy (d. 1940), daughter of Henry Glynne and niece by marriage of W. E. Gladstone (who was called on to deal with several family disputes); they had two sons and six daughters. Penrhyn Castle was built by Thomas Hopper (1776–1856) over the years 1820 to 1837 in the revived Norman style. The Pennants' London house was Mortimer House, Halkin Street, Belgravia, and they had country houses at Wicken, Stony Stratford, at Betws-y-Coed in Caernarvonshire, and at Cairnton in Banffshire. He was a JP, a county councillor, and the deputy lieutenant of Caernarvonshire. In 1866 he was elected unopposed as Conservative MP for Caernarvonshire, but in 1868 he was defeated by the Liberal T. L. D. Jones-Parry. He regained the seat in 1874, but lost it in 1880 to the Liberal Watkin Williams. Master of the Grafton hounds from 1882 to 1891, He became 2nd Baron Penrhyn on the death of his father in 1886. Douglas-Pennant enjoyed horse-racing, shooting, and fishing. (DNB).
Commander ARC Douton, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1949-19??
C F Drake, 18??-19??, LFC Member ^1936-1946+. Address given as Seedley House, Leintwardine. Charles Flint Drake Was re-elected Hon Sec in 1936 and remained so until 1942.
General Drummond, 18??-18??. LFC Member 1863. Address given as The Boyce, near Dymock. Slater’s 1868 Directory of Newent lists a General John Drummond, JP, of Boyce Court (this house is a Grade 2 listed building originally built in 17 C but much altered in 19C). General John Drummond is also listed as Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and in 1874 as being a member of the Grampian Society, a society started by Charles Rogers, a Scottish author, in 1874, , with the purpose of issuing works illustrative of Scottish literature, history, and antiquities.
The Earl of Dudley, 1817-1885. LFC Member 1870-78. Address given as Witley Court, Worcester. William Ward, 1st Earl of Dudley (27 March 1817 - 7 May 1885), known as the Lord Ward from 1835 to 1860, was a British peer and benefactor. He was educated at Eton College and Oxford, where he played some 5 first class cricket matches taking 28 wickets. His father who had made a fortune in the coal and iron industry bought Witley Court in 1837. Ward inherited the house in 1833. Ward married Selina Constance, daughter of Hubert de Burgh, on 24 April 1851. She died on 14 November of the same year, at the age of 22. There were no children from this marriage. In 1860 the earldom held by his kinsman was revived when he was created Viscount Ednam, of Ednam in the County of Roxburgh, and Earl of Dudley, of Dudley Castle in the County of Stafford. He married Georgina Elisabeth, daughter of Sir Thomas Moncreiffe and Lady Louisa Hay-Drummond, on 21 November 1865. They had six sons and one daughter. In the 1850s, the Earl of Dudley engaged the local architect Samuel Daukes to remodel the house in Italianate style using ashlar stone. He also commissioned the garden designer W. A. Nesfield to transform the gardens. This was Nesfield's 'Monster Work'. (In 1920 Witley Court was sold by the 2nd Earl to Sir Herbert Smith, a Kidderminster carpet manufacturer. The property was sold again following a fire in 1938.) Ward died on 7 May 1885, aged 68, at Dudley House, Park Lane, Mayfair, in London, and was buried in Great Witley, Worcestershire. His remains were later reinterred in Worcester Cathedral. He was succeeded by his eldest son William, who became a prominent Conservative politician and Governor-General of Australia. In 1878 the LFC accounts show that the Earl had three memberships. He has a portrait in the National Gallery.
JEL England, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1943-1980 Address given as Woodlands, Tong, Shifnal. He was the first member Sydney Guy proposed. He resigned in 1954 and again in 1980.
W E Essington, 18??-18??. LFC Member 1863. Address given as Ribbersford House, Bewdley. William Essington Essington.
Colonel Philip Eyton, 1847-19??. LFC Member 1891-94. Address given as Whitton Cottage, Leintwardine. This is probably Lt Colonel Philip Eyton who commanded the Border Regiment and was the son of the Rev Robert William Eyton the author of ‘The Antiquities of Shropshire’. A Philip Eyton bought a commission into the 55th Foot in 8th May 1866, and became a Lieutenant by purchase in 1870 and a Captain in 1880. By 1884 the Regiment was known as the Border Regiment and Eyton was promoted Major. Philip Eyton married Ethel Seymour in 1888. His son Robert William went to Mill Mead School Shrewsbury and was killed in Flanders in 1918.
Colonel GW Fitton, CB, CMG. 18??-19??. LFC Member 1926-1939? Address given as Fairlea, Malvern.
JA Fletcher, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1939-19?? Address given as Mary Knoll, Ludlow.
Francis Freeman, 18??-18?? . LFC Member 1863. Address given as 63, Pall Mall, London.
Frederick William Garnett, 1817-1874. LFC Member 1863. Address given as Bonehill House, Tamworth. Garnett is noted in cricinfo.com as having played one match for Oxford University in 1840, scoring a total of 20 runs in two innings and bowled out by James Cobbett.
M G Garland, 19??-19??. LFC (G) Member 1959-1962 then Full Member 1962-19??. Son of J Ash Garland below.
J Ash Garland, 18??-1960 LFC Member 1945-1960 Address given as Henley in Arden. John Ash Garland later gave his address as Thurlestone, Vicarage Hill, Tamworth-in-Arden, Warickshire. In 1944 Garland worked for solicitors Lane Clutterbuck & Co. In 1957 Garland was working as a solicitor for Chartered Accountants , Messrs AE Sherry, Garland & Co, 36 Waterloo St , Birmingham. He was elected to the committee in 1950 and became secretary in 1952.
Cosmo Gordon-Forbes, 1820-1900, LFC Member 1863. Address given as Morrington (sic) Hall, probably Marrington, Chirbury, Shropshire. He married Emily Constable McVickar on 1st June 1859. Slater's Directory of 1880 and 1868 lists Forbes as living at Marrington Hall, Chirbury, on the A490 between Church Stoke and Welshpool. The Marrington Hall estate was probably based on one of two manors at Marrington mentioned in the Doomsday Book, the present Hall being a small mid-Victorian- Elizabethan style half-timbered country house incorporating a late 16th C timber framed house. The building is associated with a sundial erected by one Richard Lloyd and originally set within its garden, inscribed ‘from dai to dai these shades do flee and so this life passeth awaie’. By 1878 a Mr Price Davies is living at the Hall. Cosmo Gordon-Forbes’ wife, Emily dies in 1888.
Colonel W Gibbons, OBE, TD, DL, JP. 19??-1972+. LFC (G) Member 1963. Address given as Clare House, Tettenhall, W’hampton.
Captain A Greville RN, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1919-19??. Address given as The Castle, Dover.
Captain Grice-Hutchinson, 1848-1906. LFC Member 1901. Address given as The Boynes, Upton-on-Severn. He gained his captaincy in service with the Scottish Rifles. Captain George William Grice-Hutchinson was returned to Parliament to serve as member for Aston Manor, Birmingham in 1891. He was subsequently re-elected in 1895. Sir John Benjamin Stone painted his portrait in 1897 and this is held in the National Portrait gallery. His son Lt Colonel Claude Broughton G-H married into the Coventry family, he went on to win a DSO and served in the Royal Artillery. The Boynes is now a nursing- home.
J Grierson-Clayton, 18??-19??. LFC member 1928. Address given as Brook Hall, Tattenhall, Cheshire.
J M B Guy, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1953-1959.
R S Guy, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1952-1961. Address given as Sauchieleigh, Albrighton, Wolverhampton
Sydney Slater Guy, 1885-1971. LFC Member 1942- 71. President 1951-67. Hon member 1963-1971 Address given as Sauchieleigh, Albrighton, Wolverhampton. Founder of Guy Motors, produced the first British 8 cylinder car engine in 1919. Car production ends in 1925 to concentrate on commercial vehicles. Sydney Guy retires in 1957. In 1961 the company is taken over by Jaguar. Guy production ceases in 1976. His obituary appeared in The Times, Friday, Sep 24, 1971.
TM Guy, 19??-19??. LFC Member 1953. Address given as Sauchieleigh, Albrighton.
W R Ewart Guy, 18??-1953, LFC Member 1942-1953 Address given as Keystone?, Badge Heath?, Nr Wolverhampton and Moseley Hall, Fordhouses, Wolverhampton. He served as a Major in the Staffordshire Home Guard, 23(Wolverhampton) Bn. During WW2.
KRH Habershon, 18??-19?? LFC Honorary Member 1961. Address given as Aston on Clun House, Craven Arms. He was the agent for the Downton Estate.
CC Harley, 1926-1997 LFC Honorary Member 1961-1979. Address given as Stonebrook House, Downton on the Rock and later Brampton Bryan Hall. Christopher Charles Harley second son of JRH Harley inherited the Harley estate from his brother in 1953?
JRH Harley, 1888-1960 LFC Honorary Member 1920? 1939 Address given as Brampton Bryan. John Ralph Henry Harley married Rachel Gwyer. He was Gazetted in 1917, aged 29, as an officer of the Highland Light Infantry for promotion to acting Captain in the Special Reserve. In 1930 he was secretary for the Teme Valley Hunt. He was again gazetted in December 1939, aged 51, when promoted Captain whilst serving on the Special list in a National Defence Company. Their son Robert John died during WWII at Salerno and Christopher inherited the estate. In 1958 Ralph Harley was using the following title Major J. R. H. Harley, D.L., J.P., Bucknell, Salop when representing the Local Council’s Association on the UK’s Central Transport Consultative Committee.
RGG Harley, 1879-1920, LFC Hon Member 1907-1920. Address given as Brampton Bryan, Herefordshire. Educated Eton and Magdalene College Cambridge. Robert George Geoffrey Harley married Annie Winifred (Freda) Ripley. Geoffrey Harley served in WWI with the R. Fusiliers, he was gazetted in 1918 when he relinquished his commission as a Captain on appointment to the RNVR serving with the Royal Air Force.
RWD Harley, 1846-1907. LFC Honorary Member 1878-1907. Address given as Brampton Brian, Herefordshire. Robert William Daker Harley, Esq, JP, DL was the son of John Harley of Ross Hall, Salop. He was educated at Westminster and Magdalene College, Cambridge. He succeeded to the estates of the Harley family under the will of Lady Langdale, daughter of Edward Harley the Earl of Oxford, in 1872. He married Hon Patience Annie (Rodney), their children included a daughter, Dorothy, who married an LFC member Sir Henry Ripley, and sons RGG and JRH Harley. He was High Sherriff for Herefordshire 1833. It is entirely probable that RWD Harley was made an Honorary member of the LFC earlier than 1878, i.e. on the death of Lady Langdale in 1872 or shortly after. 1878 is the first reprint of the LFC member’s list post Lady Langdale’s death.
W R J Heatley, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1960-1972+ . Address given as The Manor House, Albrighton. His membership was acclerated in order to fill the position of Honorary Secretary as there were no other volunteers. He was described by S Guy as aged 47 (in 1960), a Salopian, who was commissioned into the Kings Scottish Light Infantry in WWII, a chartered Accountant and a bachelor, living at Albrighton. He was later elected LFC treasurer.
Hugh Louis Heber-Percy, 1853-1925. LFC Member 1912-1920. Address given as Ferney Hall, Onibury. Known as Hugo he married Harriet Earp in 1899. His father Algernon Charles lived at Hodnet Hall , Shropshire. He was the nephew of the 5th Duke of Northumberland.
Major William C Hill, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1885-1909. Address given as Powyke, Worcs. And later as The Cottage Malvern Wells. Hill’s name appears on the committee for the production of the Victorian History of Worcestershire, Lord Coventry as Lord Lieutenant of the County was Chairman.
Colonel CAF Hocken, CBE, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1937. Address given as Meadhome, St John’s Rd, Eastbourne.
HA Hopkins, 1883-1957. LFC Member 1948-1955 re-admitted 1956-57. Address given as Arden House, Knowle , Warickshire. Harry Augustus Hopkins, known as Gus, had a factory in Birmingham and manufactured clothing for the retail trade. His wife was called Gladys and they had one child, Philip Augustus. Gus Hopkins was also a member of the Greenwell Club and is mentioned in CV Hancock’s book ‘Rod in Hand’, He was known by Hancock as ‘the squire’.
Bernard Hopps, 18??-1935. LFC Member 1916-20. Address given as Thurlaston, Nr Rugby. Hopps was a manufacturer of spark plugs. Hopps is noted as taking delivery of the first, 1934 ‘Derby’ Bentley on 2nd March, 1934, and paid £1,496.6.6 , approximately. 15 times what a new Ford 8hp Saloon of the period cost! The records show that Mr Hopps made a special request for Lodge sparkplugs and also paid for a GB plate to be fitted, doubtless with extended Continental touring in mind. But it was not to be; by March 1935 an entry 'Deceased' appears next to his name in the company's ledgers. This same car came up for sale in 2010 at £85,995 (www.kultkars.net .) His son, also Bernard Hopps, was to go on to become Managing Director of Lodge Plugs limited.
JA Hopps, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1926-1930. Address given as Rivington, Knighton Drive, Leicester.
Thomas Charles Gandolfi Hornyold, 1846-1906. LFC Member 1886. Address given as Blackmoor Park, Hanley Castle, Upton on Severn, a Jacobean style mansion built by his father in 1867. In 1873 he exchanged several parcels of land with the Lechmere family (also an LFC member). In 1880 his house was gutted by fire and he rebuilt it in 1883. In 1899 he was granted the title of Duke Gandolfi for his services to Catholicism by Pope Leo XIII. Shown as Magistrate for Herefordshire (Kelly’s 1895).
J Hurlestone-Leche, 1827-1903. LFC Member 1886-1901. Address given as Carden Park, Chester. The ancient family of Leche once owned Chatsworth and settled in Carden in mid 14th C. Twelve generations of John Leches were superseded in the 19thC by the Hurlestone-Leches. John Hurtlestone-Leche married his second wife, Eleanor Francis in 1855, he became DL and JP for Cheshire. A person of the same name was admitted to the Cestrian Lodge of Freemasonry in 1850. Carden Hall burnt down in 1912.
Rev C Ibbotson, 1815?-18??. LFC Member 1863-70. Address given as Oxford and Cambridge Club, London. Charles Ibbotson was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge, 1830-1846 . He is listed in the Clergy List 1849-65 but does not appear in Crockford’s Directory, 1860 or 1865.
G Jobling, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1928. Address given as St Stephen’s Manor, Cheltenham.
Rowland Kennard, 1871-1920. LFC Member 1912-1914. Address given as Little Harrow, Christchurch, Hants. Rowland Stephen Astley Kennard married Winifred Heyworth, they had two children. He was a JP.
Lt Colonel D E C Kenny, 18??-19?? LFC Member 1943-1944+ . Appears on a fishing return of 1943-44 but not after.
S M Kent, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1930-1948+ Address given as Shobdon Court, Kingsland and later Whitton Hall, Westbury, Salop.
A G Ker, JP, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1926-1930. Address given as Leintwardine House, Leintwardine.
The Lady Langdale, 1796- 1872. Honorary member 1870. Address given as Eyewood, Kington. The Lady Jane Elizabeth Harley married Henry Bickersteth, Baron Langdale (1783-1851) in 1835( portrait National Gallery). He was a member of the Privy Council and Master of the Rolls in succession to Pepys. She was the eldest daughter of Henry’s friend and patron, the Earl of Oxford. Henry died in 1851, Jane Elizabeth survived him, and on the death of her brother Alfred in 1853, the sixth and last E` arl of Oxford, the Harley estate reverted to her. She died on 1 September 1872.
Herbert Langham, 1840-1909. LFC Member 1881-18??. Address given as Cottesbrook Park, Northamptonshire. Eton, 1st Life Guards 1857-65. Herbert Hay Langham succeeded to the title of 12th Baron Langham in 1893. He hunted with the Pytchley and was Master of Hounds from 1878. He had a daughter, Augusta Frederica who was later to become Baroness Henley of Chardstock. She died in 1905.
H W Langley, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1912-1914. Address given as Bedstone Court, Bucknell.
Archdeacon William Lea, 1819-1889. LFC Member prior to 1863. According to the biography in the book The Worthies of Worcester he was born at Stone House, near Kidderminster. Educated at Rugby and Brasenose College, Oxford; B.A., 1842. Vicar of St. Peter's, Droitwich, 1849-87. Archdeacon of Worcester, 1881. As Secretary of the Worcester Board of Education, he zealously promoted intellectual progress. He was also a great authority upon fruit-growing, recommending it especially to cottagers. He established a large experimental garden at “Orchardlea," where he tested the suitability of nearly every variety of apple, pear, and plum to the Worcestershire soil and climate. Carefully tabulated results were kept of every tree, and the results and profits were made known in many village lectures. In addition he wrote " Catechisings on the Booke of Common Prayer," " On the Life of our Lord," " Sermons on the Prayer Book Preached in Borne," "Small Farms," and ''Church Plate in the Archdeaconry of Worcester." He had articles published in the Fishing Gazette but of more concern to us is the book published after his death Fishing Reminiscences of the Late Archdeacon Lea (1892). Published by Shuttle Office, Kidderminster. ‘Published for his most intimate friends and relations. 100 copies printed for private circulation’. The ten chapters include “A Day at Leintwardine”.
Anthony Lechmere, 1868-19??. LFC Member 1905-19??. Address given as Kempsey, Worcester and later Wolverton Hall, Pershore. Anthony Hungerford Lechmere , Esq. , JP and DL Worcestershire. Temporary Captain Worcestershire Regt 1914-18. Knight of Grace of the Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem. Junior Carlton Club. Married Cecily, nee Bridges 1920.
H Leigh, 18??-1958. LFC Member 1958-1958. He died in Canada before being able to fish as a member at Leintwardine.
Maj E Levett, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1899-18??. Address given as Rowsley, Derbyshire.
Major WMPK Lennox, 1892-1969 LFC Honorary Member 1953-1969 Address given as Downton Castle. Owner and lessor of the Downton Waters on the Teme from 1947-1969. William Mandeville Peareth Kincaid Lennox, Chief of Lennox, came into possession of Downton Castle because Charles Andrew Rouse Boughton Knight had no heir when he died in 1947. CABK’s sister Anna Lilly Frances had married William George Peareth Kincaid Lennox and produced a son ,WMPKL , who then became next male in line to the Downton Castle estate when CABK died. WMPKL had married in 1918, Eva St Clair and therefore by 1947 already had a daughter, Heather Veronica, who in turn had married Dennis Arthur Hornell in 1940 . Heather was then widowed in 1941 (Hornell a Lt Commander RN was killed during the evacuation of Crete) when carrying Hornell’s son. The ‘Major’ as he was known on the estate signed his letters Bill or Billy and ran the estate for the next 22 years. When the Major died in 1969 Dennis Peareth Hornell, aged 28, became the owner of the Downton Estate and then added Lennox to his name .
J N Lovett, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1936-1950. Address given as Moorhay, Church Stretton. He is noted in the Minute Book as being elected in 1936 , again in 1940 and again in 1945. He was elected to the committee in 1946. He resigned in 1950.
Maj A C Lyon, 18??-19. LFC Member 1918-1920. Address given as Wellington Club, Grosvenor Place, London.
G E Martin, 18??-1905. LFC Member 1886-94. Address given as Ham Court, Upton-on-Severn. George Edward Martin had become Lord of the Manor of Upton in 1873 and moved into Ham Court in 1879. He was married to Maria Henrietta and had three children. He was made Sheriff of Worcestershire in 1882, he was also a JP and Deputy Lieutenant for the county. His son Eliot George Bromley-Martin married Katherine Emily (Emmy)in 1899 she was the second daughter of Andrew Rouse Boughton Knight.
Colonel HD Marshall CIE, OBE. 18??-19??. LFC Member 1928-1942? Address given as Mary Knoll, Church Stretton. Hon Sec 1942.
RP Marshall, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1930-1937. Address given as Brockhurst, Church Stretton.
SW Maslen-Jones, 1891-1967. LFC Member 1950-1957. Re-joined as a Grayling Member in 1965. Address given as The Pavings, Wrottesley Rd Tettenhall, Staffs. And later at 69 Mill Lane Tettenhall Wood, Wolverhampton. Doctor Samuel Walter Maslen-Jones MS, FRCS, FRCOG the son of a Baptist missionary, was born in Simla on 6 September 1891, and was educated at Eltham College, and at the Middlesex Hospital, London, where he qualified with the Conjoint diploma in 1914. During the First World War he joined the R.A.M.C., and saw four years service in Egypt, where he was mentioned in dispatches, and where-in Cairo -he met and married Sister Kate Wilde, Q. A. I. M. N. S. After demobilization he graduated M.B., B.S. in 1919, and took the M.S. and the F.R.C.S. in 1920. He went to Wolverhampton to work with Frederick Edge, and in 1921 was appointed to the staff of the Women's Hospital there. During the years of his work in the West Midlands he gained an outstanding reputation, founded not only on his ability and skill as a diagnostician and operator but on the sympathetic understanding and kindliness of approach to all with whom he came into contact. He was a past-President and honorary Fellow of the Birmingham and Midland Obstetric and Gynaecological Society, a one-time chairman of the South Staffordshire Division of the British Medical Association, and President of the Staffordshire Branch from 1937 to 1940. In his own specialty he was a foundation member of the British College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists-as it was then called-and in 1931 was elected to the Fellowship. He was elected to the LFC committee in 1955 and resigned in 1957.
Colonel H Mc Micking, CB, DSO, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1926. Address given as 30 Elvaston Place, London SW7.
E Meade-King, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1928. Address given as Cleeve, Nr Bristol.
Colonel Hon Paul Methuen, CB, 1845-1932. LFC Member 1893. Address given as Corsham Court, Corsham, Wilts. Eton and the Scots Guards, he was to become Field Marshall Paul Sanford Methuen. On the death of his father in 1891 he succeeded to the title 3rd Baron Methuen. He was proposed to the LFC in 1887, i.e. before he inherited the title, by Lord Coventry and Colonel Stapleton-Cotton, who had married his sister, Jane. He married firstly Evelyn Hervey-Bathurst in1878 and secondly Mary Ethel Sanford with whom he had seven children. He commanded Methuen’s Horse, Bechuanaland 1885, a Division in S Africa 1899-1902 and GOC Troops S Africa 1908. (National Portrait Gallery).
Sir William Milman, Bart, 1813-1885. LFC Member 1863. Address given as Moor Park, Ludlow. Sir William Milman became the 3rd baronet (in 1857) and married Matilda Francis Pretyman. She was a member of a distinguished family who owned estates near Orford in Suffolk.Her grand uncle was the Rt Rev Sir George Tomline, D.D, Bt., who had been William Pitt's tutor and went on to be Bishop of Lincoln and then of Winchester.Sir William had been a barrister working on the Oxford Circuit. [The Salwey family had owned Moor Park until the 1874 when the greater part of the estate, including the main house, was sold. In 1861, the then Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, visited Moor Park with a view to buying it as his country estate. He eventually chose Sandringham because of its proximity to London and it is said its greater number of pheasants. In the early 1850s, the house was let for a year to an American family from Boston and the daughter (Anna Fay) subsequently wrote an intriguing account of their visit describing Victorian life in Hereford and Shropshire - from an outsider's point of view.]
A A Mitchell, 19??-1977. LFC Member 1949-1977. Address given as Devonshire Works, Birmingham 12, and 146 Haunch Lane, Kings Heath, Birmingham. Proposed by Sydney Guy. He was elected to the committee in 1952 and was elected President in 1967.
Morgan-Vane, 18??-18??. LFC Member 1870-1877. Address given as Chippenham Hall, Soham. This may have been Sir Henry Morgan-Vane (1808-1886), a barrister at law, later secretary to the Charity Commission 1853-1886, and invested as Knight in 1883.
Lt Colonel Mustrapp, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1936-1941. His name first appears as attending 1936 AGM but not after 1942
Dr JC Newbould, 19??-19??. LFC Member 1964-1972+ Address given as 18 Newbridge Crescent, Wolverhampton.
Dr WA Nicholson, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1938-19?? Address given as Kingsland.
The Right Honourable Lord Northwick, 1811-1887. LFC Member 1863-87. Address given as Burford House, near Tenbury. George Rushout-Bowles was born at Burford and was the son of Reverend the Hon. George Rushout-Bowles, younger son of John Rushout, 1st Baron Northwick. His mother was Lady Caroline, daughter of John Stewart, 7th Earl of Galloway. George was returned to Parliament for Evesham in 1837. In May 1838 he fought a duel with Peter Borthwick, who had been elected alongside George R-B in 1837 but had been unseated on petition in March 1838, over the election results. He continued to represent Evesham until 1841, and later sat as Member of Parliament for Worcestershire East between 1847 and 1859. In 1859 he succeeded his uncle in the barony and entered the House of Lords. Lord Northwick married the Hon. Elizabeth Augusta, daughter of William Bateman-Hanbury, 1st Baron Bateman and widow of George Warburton, in 1869 at Shobdon. There were no surviving children from the marriage. Lord Northwick died at The Queen’s Hotel, Upper Norwood, in November 1887, aged 66. On his death his titles became extinct. Lady Northwick died in May 1912, aged 80. (National Portrait Gallery).
C W Parkes, 18??-19?? LFC Member 1950-1962+ Address given as 34 Danescourt Road, Tettenhall, Staffs. Cyril W Parkes proposed by SS GUY. He was elected to the committee in 1952.
John Parker, 18??-18??. LFC Member 1863. Address given as Woodside House, Worcester.
Major W G Parsons MC, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1956-1972+. Address given as Holles House, Albrighton, Wolverhampton. He was elected to the committee in 1972.
Brigadier-General E C Peebles, CB, CMG, DSO, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1928.
Thomas Peters, 18??-18??. LFC Member 1863. Address given as Knighton.
W Pilkington, 19??-19??. LFC Member 1959-19?? Address given as Spring Cottage, Steventon, Ludlow.
H M Porter, 18??-1909. LFC Member 1889-1909. Address given as Birlingham, Pershore.
Gerald Radcliffe, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1937. Address given as Elton Hall Ludlow.
K G Reid. 18??-19??. LFC Member 1952-1962+ Address given as Grange Croft, 42 Grange Road, Cambridge.
Dr Richardson, R.A. 18??-18??. LFC Member 1863. Address given as 6 Mars Terrace Woolwich.
G Ripley, 1881-1959. LFC Member 1926. Address given as Heath House, Aston on Clun. This is probably Edward Guy Ripley a younger brother to Sir Henry, next entry. He reached the rank of Lieutenant in the Rifle Brigade and fought in the Boer War and in WWI became a Captain in the Army Service Corps. He was invested with the OBE in 1919. He was unmarried
Sir H W A Ripley Bt, 1879-1956. LFC Member 1912-1915 and 1919-1926. Address given as Bedstone Court, Bucknell. Sir Henry William Alfred Ripley, 3rd Bt. was born on 3 January 1879. He is the son of Sir Edward Ripley, 2nd Bt. and Eugenie Frederica Fulcher Emmott-Rawdon. He married Dorothy Harley, daughter of Robert William Daker Harley and Hon. Patience Annie Rodney, on 17 January 1911. He died on 14 December 1956 at age 77. Sir Henry was educated at Eton College, Berkshire, England. He gained the rank of Captain in the service of the 1st Royal Dragoons and fought in the Boer War between 1900 and 1902. He succeeded to the title of 3rd Baronet Ripley, of Acacia, Rawdon, West Riding of Yorkshire and Bedstone House, Shropshire on 21 November 1903. He fought in the First World War, held the office of Justice of the Peace (J.P.) for both Shropshire and Herefordshire. He gained the rank of Major in 1940 in the service of the 7th Battalion, Shropshire Home Guard. He had six children, the two eldest sons were killed in WWII and the third, Hugh George Harley Ripley was wounded but went on to a career in the whisky trade. Hugh wrote some amusing memoirs ‘Whisky for tea’. (Source thepeerage.com.)
John Rocke, 1817-1881. LFC Member 1863-81. Address given as Clungunford House. Rocke inherited the house and manor of Clungunford from his father the Rev John Rock on his death in 1849. His mother was Anne youngest daughter of Thomas Beale of Heath House. He went to Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge and became a banker. He was a Lieutenant in the South Shropshire Yeomanry Cavalry. . He married Constance Anne daughter of Sir Charles Culyer Bart in 1853. He was a JP and DL for Salop and appointed High Sheriff of Shropshire in 1869. He was clearly an ornithologist of some skill and made a collection of preserved British birds that was of international note. Some of the cases of birds he had preserved can be seen in the Ludlow Museum.
Rev T O Rocke, 1822-1892. LFC Member 1863-86. Address given as Clungunford Rectory. Thomas Owen Rocke was born at Clungunford and was the brother of John (see above) He went to school at Bridgenorth and he obtained a BA in 1845 at Trinity College, Cambridge (Crockford’s Directory.). He followed his father as rector at Clungunford from 1849-92. He married in 1861 Edith daughter of Rev TT Lewis of Yatton Court and again in 1890 (aged 68) Josephine Emily daughter of Rev A Stonehouse vicar of Walford. One of his sons William Charles became the fourth generation of Rockes as vicar of Clungunford.
Rev John Rogers, 1817-1878. LFC Member 1870-78. Address given as Stanage Park, Brampton Bryan. He went to Shrewsbury School and St John’s College, Cambridge 1836-44. Rev John Rogers MA of the Home and Stanage Park was formerly Vicar of Amyestry 1850-65. Vicar at Stowe 1865-78. A JP for Herefordshire and Radnor and Salop. He married in 1851 Charlotte Victoria Newbold. Their son Charles Coltman assumed by royal licence in 1919 the surname of Coltman (from his maternal grandfather) to become Charles Coltman Coltman-Rogers. His appointments included JP , High Sheriff and MP for Radnor.
Dr N J L Rollason, 1883-1967. LFC Member 1943-1964. Address given as 1 Lythalls Lane, Coventry and 74 Stoneleigh Ave, Coventry. Norman John Lancelot was born in Smethwick on 6 May 1883, and was educated at Five Ways Grammar School and Birmingham University. After house appointments at the Queen's Hospital, Birmingham, he joined the late Dr. John Orton in general practice in Coventry, where he rapidly became a well-loved family doctor. During the First World War he served as a surgeon lieutenant-commander in the R.N.V.R., and from 1914 to 1964 he served continuously on committees concerned with medical administration. He had a distinguished record in the St. John Ambulance Association. He loved Freemasonry and was a past Master of the St. John's Lodge of Freemasons and an officer of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Warwickshire. He was an enthusiastic angler and every holiday would be spent fishing in Scotland and later Leintwardine. In 1908 he married Elizabeth Mary Oakden, she died in 1957. They had no children. He was elected to the LFC committee in 1950 until 1955.
Edward Shuckburgh Rouse-Boughton, 1858-1932. LFC Member 1912-1915. Address given as Whitton, Leintwardine. He was still at Whitton in 1913. Second son of Sir Charles Henry Rouse-Boughton of Downton Hall. He never married.
Sir William Rouse-Boughton, 1788-1856. LFC President 1848-1856. Address was Downton Hall, Stanton Lacey, Shropshire. William Edward Rouse Boughton inherited Downton Hall from his father Sir Charles William Rouse Boughton in 1821 and became the 10th Baronet Boughton, of Lawford Parva, Warwickshire and 2nd Baronet Boughton Rouse, of Rouse-Lench, Worcestershire. He graduated from Christ Church, Oxford, was MP for Evesham 1818-1826., and a fellow of the Royal Society. He married Charlotte Knight, daughter of Thomas Andrew Knight of Downton Castle in 1824. They had eight children: Charles Henry, 1825, Andrew Johnes (ARBK), 1826, Algernon Greville 1828, Catherine Charlotte, 1830, Frances Harriett, 1832, Theresa Louisa Catherine, 1833, Mary Lucy Octavia, 1835, Frederica St John, 1838. Charlotte died in 1842. Sir William held Downton castle and the Castle Estate in trust for his son ARBK (see next entry) from the death of Thomas Andrew Knight in 1838 until his own death in 1856.
A J Rouse-Boughton-Knight, 1826-1909, LFC President and Treasurer 1870-1909. Honorary Member, Landowner Downton Castle estate. Andrew Johnes Rouse-Boughton. AJRB was born at Henley Hall, near Ludlow. 26 May 1826. He was the second son of Sir William Edward Rouse Boughton and Charlotte (Nee Knight) of Downton Hall (which was being refurbished at the time). AJRB was educated first at Ludlow then a school in East Sheen and from 1838 at Eton (his elder brother Charles being at Harrow). He went on to Trinity College, Cambridge in 1845. In 1856 his elder brother Charles inherited Downton Hall and Andrew Rouse-Boughton-Knight inherited Downton Castle. Andrew was granted the right, by Royal License in 1857, to add the name Knight to his name. He then styled himself Andrew Rouse-Boughton-Knight, and signed his letters AR Boughton Knight; Andrew married Eliza Severne (1838-1914) in September 1858 and they went on to produce seven children. Andrew was an honorary member of the LFC from early times until his death in 1909 . He was listed as a Magistrate for Herefordshire (Kelly’s 1895).
Charles Andrew Rouse-Boughton-Knight, 1859-1947, LFC President 1909-1936, Honorary Member 1909-1947. First born eldest son of AR Boughton- Knight and Eliza (Nee Severne). Charles Andrew Rouse-Boughton-Knight known as ‘Andy’. 1876 listed as Sub Lt in Hereford Militia and two years later as Lt in the Worcester Militia. By 1881 he is a Lt in the 23rd Foot (Royal Welch Fusiliers) and then in April 1882 he joins the Scots Guards, age 23 but resigns in 1885. By 1896 he is living locally at Lodge Farm, Downton, and then Overton Grange and is occupied with being the Chairman of the Ludlow Guardians. He marries Helen Dupree (Wilson) 30 April 1902 in Dublin and moves to London. He becomes ill in 1903 and operated on. Eventually moves to Hinton House, Hinton Admiral, Hants. By 1909 he is living at Pools Farm, Downton, having inherited the Downton Estate. Listed as Magistrate for Herefordshire (Kelly’s 1895) He was gazetted in 1925 as High Sheriff of Herefordshire. Helen dies 23 April 1926. He dies 21 Oct 1947.
T W Shaw, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1919-1928. Address given as Culmington Manor, Craven Arms.
Rev Thomas Short B.D., 1789-1879. LFC Member 1863. Address given as Trinity College, Oxford. Short was born in Manor cottage, Solihull, Warickshire on June 24th 1789. He was educated at Solihull School. By 1803 he had entered Rugby School. He then took an exhibition from the school in 1807, and matriculated as commoner at Trinity College, Oxford in the October. In 1811 he took a Third Class in the Honour School (classics), and the following year his BA degree. He returned to Rugby as under-master in 1811 and was ordained whilst there. Short never married. In 1816 Short returned to Trinity as fellow and Tutor. He was at one stage a candidate for headmaster of Rugby School but Dr Arnold beat him by one vote. He went on to become vice-president of his college. A book printed in 1909 titled ‘An Oxford Tutor The life of the Rev Thomas Short, BD of Trinity College, Oxford’ and written by CEH Edwards gives further detail of his life as’ the best tutor of his time’ and of his regard for fishing but sadly gives no indication that he fished the Teme, he probably did most of his fishing once he had retired back to Manor Cottage. The book can be read on Archive.org.
H S Shorthouse, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1939-19??. Address given as Salamo, Wilford on Avon, Stratford on Avon.
WWGH Sitwell, 1828-1909. LFC Member 1863-81. Address given as Ferney Hall, near Ludlow. Probably William Willoughby George Hurt Sitwell, JP. He was appointed High Sheriff of Shropshire in 1855. Married first in 1853, Harriet Margret (died 1855), secondly Eliza Harriet in 1858 who died 1888. He was a lieutenant in the Shropshire Yeomanry. Ferney Hall, Onibury, is a Victorian era house built, following a fire, on the site of an older house in 1856. Designs for the gardens of the old hall appear in one of Humphrey Repton’s Red books in 1789. The 1881 census shows WWGH (Esq.) Sitwell as head of Household (b 1828), Eliza Sitwell(b 1831),presumably his second wife, Francis Hurt Sitwell (b. 1860) second son and daughter Elinor (b 1865) who married Sir William Grenville Williams 4th baronet in 1884.
W H Sitwell, 1881-1929+. LFC Member 1912-1913. Address given as The Cottage, Bucknell. Willoughby Hurt Sitwell second son of Hurt Sitwell above. Late Lieutenant RFA. Magistrate for Herefordshire (Kelly’s 1895).
George Smythies, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1886-1891. Address given as Marlow, Leintwardine. Listed as Magistrate for Herefordshire (Kelly’s 1895).
Vere Somerset, 1854-1904+. LFC Member 1886-94. Address given as Prees Hall, near Shrewsbury, Salop. Vere Francis John Somerset, educated at Wellington College, married in 1875 Annette Catherine (Hill). They had two sons.
GE Sparrow, 18??-19??. LFC (G) Member 1959- 1972+. Address given as Cloverfield, Olton, Warickshire.
Colonel Hon Richard Stapleton-Cotton, 1849-1925. LFC Member 1886. Address given as Combermere Abbey, Whitchurch. His father was Colonel Wellington Stapleton-Cotton, 2nd Viscount Combermere of Bhurtpore, his mother was Susan Alice Sitwell. He married the Hon Jane Charlotte Methuen in 1870 and they had six surviving children. (The names of Sitwell and Methuen both appear in the members lists). Colonel Hon Richard Southwell George Stapleton-Cotton gained the rank of Colonel in the service of the Scots Guards. He gained the rank of Colonel in the service of the 3rd Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment. He was Inspector-General Police for British Guiana between 1889 and 1891. He held the office of Justice of the Peace (J.P.) for Cheshire. He held the office of Justice of the Peace (J.P.) for Shropshire. He held the office of Deputy Lieutenant (D.L.) of Anglesey. He died at Plas Llown, Llanfair Pg, Angelsey aged 76.
J H Starey, 1848-1928. LFC Member 1912-1915. Address given as The Manor Bodenham, Herefordshire. John Helps Starey is listed in the Kelly Directory for 1913 as a private resident in Bodenham, living in the Manor. A man of the same name published in 1890 ‘The Paddy Tax in Ceylon: A Letter Addressed to the Cobden Club’ he was a manager of an agricultural company in Ceylon and resident there for eighteen years. The Starey family bought the 590 acre Milton Ernest Hall estate, Beds, in 1853 but had to sell it after stock market disasters in 1872. In 1919 the Starey family, having made a second fortune in Ceylon bought the estate back and owned it until 1968. During WW11 the Hall became the HQ of the US Eighth Air Force, amongst other events that took place, in July 1944 Glenn Miller played there in the grounds just before his last flight.
Bryan Sunderland, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1912-1914+. Address given as The Bolands, Tenbury and later at Hope Court, Ludlow.
JL Swanson, 18??-19??. LFC (G) Member 1959 – 1972+ Address given as The Orchard, Tettenhall Wood, Wolverhampton.
Major HR Sykes, 1870-1952. LFC Member 1912-1951. Address given as Longnor Hall, Shrewsbury, and then Lydham Manor and from 1933 at The Roveries, Churchstoke. Herbert Rushton Sykes, LFC Hon Sec 1946, LFC President 1946- 1951, was appointed Hon Member in 1951 having resigned the Presidency due to ill health, he died in March 1952. Educated at Rugby and Christ Church Oxford (MA 1897), 1894 obtaining a half blue in athletics against Yale. 1903 he joined an expedition to Persia and was subsequently elected a Fellow of RGS. He twice represented England in a Rifle competition, the Elcho Shield, at Bisley. He was commissioned into the 4th Vol Bn Cheshire Regt and then the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry, TA obtaining a Majority by 1914. During the war he commanded an Army Agricultural Scheme at Bury St Edmunds. He twice was Mayor of Bishop’s Castle and High Sheriff of Shropshire in 1928. He was very active throughout his life in County matters. At the age of 73 he was appointed treasurer of the Royal |Salop Infirmary. He married the Hon Constance, daughter of eleventh Viscount Masserine and Ferard in 1905.
S V Thomas, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1926. Address given as Bryngny, Rhayader.
A H Thompson, 18??-19?? . LFC Member 1959- 1965+. Arthur Thompson.
R E Threlfall, 1891-19??. LFC Member 1961-1975. Address given as The Quarry, Pedmore, Stourbridge. Richard Evelyn Threlfall was a glass manufacturer and he was the son of Sir Richard Threlfall (1861-1932)a fellow of the Royal Society. He was noted as a consummate angler and wrote ‘On a Gentle Art’ (1951).
Corbett Trevor, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1903-19??. Address given as Longnor Hall, Shrewsbury.
Colonel LTC Twyford, 18??-19??. LTC Member 1913-19 . Address given as Naval & Military Club, 56 Hans Place, London SW. He served in the North Staffordshire Regiment and was married to Vera, 56 Hares Place London (pic lulu.com) Gazetted in June 1916 for gallant conduct in the field with rank noted as Temporary Brigadier- General. in the Reserve of Officers.
W Vale-King, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1886-1901. Address given as Elton Hall, Ludlow and earlier at Woodlands, Pinner, Middlesex. Listed as Magistrate for Herefordshire (Kelly’s 1895).
Brigadier-General E Vaughan CMG, DSO, 18??_19??. LFC Member 1928. Address given as Croftmead, Kingsland.
C Villiers-Bayley, 18??-1877, LFC Member 1863-1877. Address given as Privy Council Office, London.
J G Rodney Ward, 18??-19??. LFC Honorary Member 1870-18?? Address used Yatton Court, Kingsland which in Littlebury’s Directory of 1876 is described as ‘a modern stone building, beautifully situated on the banks of the Lugg’. John George Rodney Ward was the agent for the Harley estate during the time of both Lady Langdale and RWD Harley and was man most involved with the LFC and the initial agreements over fishing rights. He was also considered in the local directory as one of the principal landowners in Amyestry which also lists him as a churchwarden and JP. He was a governor of Kington Grammar School. He was Lady Langdale’s nomination for honorary member. He attended at least one LFC meeting at Downton Castle in 1872 but his name did not appear on any of the members’ lists.
Colonel H B Watkins, OBE, DL, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1961-1973+. Honorary Life member from 1971 Address given as Shirley, Knighton. LFC Secretary 1967-73. Colonel Watkins commanded the 1st Bn Radnor Home Guard and was awarded OBE in 1944.
Lt Colonel F M Westropp DSO, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1920-1951? Address given as Wheatstone, Leintwardine.
F G M Westropp, 19??-19??. LFC Member 1948-1972 Address given as 19 Church Rd, Hampstead, London and Greyhound Cottage, Glemsford, Suffolk .Proposed by his father and AR Beale.
Major F A Whitmore, 1845-1927. LFC Member 1863-1901. Address given as 1 Westbourne Park Crescent, London, and later as Larden Hall, Much Wenlock. Francis Alexander Wolryche-Whitmore JP ,cos, Salop and Chester, BA (Oxon), Hon Colonel and late Lt Colonel Commanding Salop Militia. Married Alice Mary in 1871. Purchased Larden c. 1897. After he died in 1927 it passed to his son John Eric Alexander W-W in 1931.
George Whitmore, 1881-1929+. LFC Member 1863. Address given as 28 Oxford Square, London. This is probably Geoffrey Charlton Wolryche Whitmore son of FA Whitmore.
H White, 18??-1970. LFC Member 1943-1970. Address given as Ashleigh , Avenue Road, Wolverhampton and Ridgemead, Lower Penn, Wolverhampton and later at GlenTower, Avenue Road, Wolverhampton. Harry White was elected to the committee in 1957
R F White, 18??-1949. LFC Member 1943-1949 Address given as Wylde Green , Birmingham, and later 5 Greenhill Rd.
Frederick H Whymper, 1838-1901. LFC Member 1886. Address given as Carlton Club, London. Best known for his watercolour seascapes and survey expedition illustrations, especially of Alaska, Frederic Whymper was an artist as well as an author and mining engineer. He was born in England in
1838. As a young man, he worked with his brother, Edward (of Matterhorn fame), on Alpine books. In the late 1850s, he travelled as the official artist to the Waddington Expedition in British Columbia. Between 1862 and 1867 he made numerous visits to San Francisco. He published The Heroes of the Arctic and their Adventures in 1889.
E R Wigram, 1860-1929+. LFC Member 1883-85, and 1892. Address given as Guards Club, London. Possibly Eustace Rochester Wigram , Lieutenant (retd) Coldstream Guards. Married 1889, Mary Grace.
WG Willcocks, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1938-19?? Address given as Ryecroft, Leominster.
Revd TB Wilson, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1928-1937+. Address given as Wolverley Vicarage, Kidderminster.
Colonel C R B Wingfield, 1873-1923. LFC Member 1912-1920. Address given as Onslow, Shrewsbury. Lt Col Charles Ralph Borlase Wingfield. Married to Mary Nesta Williams, they had three children. He was mayor of Shrewsbury 1912-13. He was also a JP for the county. In 1908 he was elected president of the Yorkshire Ramblers Club and their vice president 1919-21.
TS Withington, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1957-1972. Address given as White Lodge, Four Oaks Warwickshire.
Major C E W Wood, 18??-19??. LFC Member 1901-1943+. Address given as Bishton Hall, Stafford. He was a leading member of the club and ex-officio president in the period 1922-’30 he appears to have been elected President in 1937 but latterly did not serve in that role, Mr Beale standing in. In 1939 Wood was made an Honorary Member of the LFC. Bishton hall is a grade 2 listed Georgian mansion dating to about 1750. Bishton is mentioned in the Doomsday book. It is used today (2010) for a prep school and as a wedding venue.
John Wood,18??-19??. LFC Member 1891-94. Address given as 43 Upper Brook Street London, (now the La Gavroche Restaurant).
Thomas Wood, 18??-18?? LFC Member 1863. Address given as Twyford Abbey, Acton, Middlesex.
Wing Commander R E Woolley GM 19??-1978. LFC Member 1964-1978. Address given as Germany BFPO 40 and later c/o Virginia Cottage, Leintwardine. Wing Commander RE Woolley GM, MRCS, LRCP, DPH was in the RAF Medical Branch and was promoted Group Captain in 1970.
J Leslie Wright, 18??-1956. LFC Member 1943-1955 Address given as Compton Court Farm, Kinver, Worcs and 78 Harborne Road, Edgebaston.
Alfred Wynne-Corrie, 1857-1919. LFC Member 1894-1901. Address given as Park Hall, Oswestry. Park Hall was one of the finest Tudor mansions in England, prior to its destruction by fire in 1918. Prior to that tragedy the Park Hall estate had passed through various childless marriages until in 1870 it was bought by Mrs Wynne Stapleton Cotton, later to marry her second husband, Alfred Wynne Corrie, and become Mrs Wynne Corrie in 1886. She was extremely wealthy, and did a great deal of charity work in and around Oswestry. Alfred was a JP and is noted as opening a new reservoir at Pen-y-gwely, about seven miles distant in Wales in 1893. Alfred was a student at Charterhouse and left in 1872 to be articled to a solicitor.
Mrs P Yates, 19??-19??. LFC Member 1959-19??. Address given as The Wood, Codsall Wood, Staffs.